Friday, February 12, 2010

Meta: Garden Posting

So, you may ask, what's with all these Scenes From Gardens Past?

Well, I want to write more about gardening. I'm very fond of gardening. But for some reason I can't quite seem to write about it as comfortably and easily as I can write about perfume. I wrote a whole post about that fact and... I didn't like it. So I didn't post it.

But I concluded from that failed post that that I don't write more about gardening, because I don't write enough about gardening. That is, the only way to get my garden voice and get that ease and fun from garden writing, is to do more of it. And to get comfortable with, frankly, writing nonsense about gardening. And to do all that, I need a subject. And with that whole winter thing out there, I don't have much in the way of subjects. But I have all these photos in iPhoto. So there you are.

There will, of course, also be posts about books and Wrong Food and who knows what else. But I thought that the long stream of garden photos might call for some explanation.

(And that anemone? It's from 2005.)

Photo: Mine

2 comments:

  1. Don't be too hard on yourself!!! You'll get there. And remember you're your own worst critic - just because you think a post is a failure doesn't mean we will. Still, I get not wanting to post something that you don't like, but I would urge you to take a step back and try to see the post objectively. It may not be as bad as you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I just need to keep posting until the thoughts flow as easily as they do for perfume. It's not as if perfume is inherently easier to ramble on about - I've just done more rambling. (And, come to think of it, I've read a ton of professional garden writing, in large well-researched well-informed books, while most of my perfume reading has been in bite-sized chunks. That probably makes it more approachable.)

    ReplyDelete