Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rambling: Rambling


So, as I've mentioned on the other blog, I haven't been doing much writing this past couple of weeks. And it's not just writing that isn't happening; my brain's usual production of silly daydream stories has been drastically reduced as well. In fact, even my dreams aren't offering much in the way of plot. But I have been doing a lot of reading. Unlike last year, this year I'm keeping up with the 100+ reading challenge, and I can imagine exceeding it. Maybe.

This made me wonder if my mind is unidirectional, either absorbing or producing, and not both. But what causes the direction to flip? Seasonal change? The end of the holidays? The tragic resumption of work at the end of the holidays? Seasonal Affective Disorder? What's the deal?

I also (whispering) read a novel that didn't involve a murder.  Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, a nice low-key story with no crime to speak of. Is it possible that aliens borrowed my brain and didn't get the fluff and fold process quite right before returning it? I read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, too, but that one does involve a murder, even if it is sold with the regular novels at the non-mystery end of the bookstore.

Puzzlement.

Image: Wikimedia Commons.

2 comments:

  1. I think January - and February, but mostly January - is just a low month. More people than I can count have the same kind of malaise, me included. Seed catalogues will help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya, Christine! Yes, you're probably right. It is faintly reassuring that I'm reading, anyway.

    Ooh, seed catalogues....

    ReplyDelete