Thursday, October 14, 2010

Gardening: The Craving For Empty Spaces


Years ago, I remember reading an article by someone who successfully grew a "meadow in a can". Unsurprisingly, the idea of just scattering the seeds and waiting for flowers didn't work out. As I recall, she planted, and weeded, and hoed, and transplanted, and did the same thing the following year, and eventually she had a space filled with tough wildflowers, all set and ready to self-maintain.

Then she plowed it under and planted something else.

It often seems to me that the pleasure of a garden is in the planning, and an empty space can give the gardener more pleasure than all the flowers or foliage in the world.  I never used to understand annuals; you have to chose and buy and plant them every year, often more than once a year. Now I'm realizing that that may be the whole point.

See that photo up there of our side gate, with all that foliage and all those red roses? I admire it, but when I look at it part of my mind is saying, "Hmph. Ground's full."

2 comments:

  1. Yes indeed, I am getting nervous because I have empty spaces appearing, but nothing to fill them with that will withstand the cold that's acoming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, TIG! Hmmm. Fava beans? I love fava beans in principle. It's when it comes to shelling them that I lose interest.

    ReplyDelete