Friday, August 13, 2010

Gardening: So why do I only photograph the Before?

When we first moved into the house, I took photos of the garden. Lots of photos. As I look through them now, I notice that my photo-taking focus seems to be on the construction and planting phase of the garden areas that we changed. So I have lots and lots of pictures of areas of the garden looking like this:


or this:


But far fewer looking like this:


Or this:


The prettier the garden gets, the fewer photographs I take of it. Why is this?

Photos: Mine.

6 comments:

  1. Haha, the same happens to me. Although, this year I haven't had enough pretty things to take pics of. My garden's been pretty much crap the whole summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, Kyna! Yeah, mine's been a little odd this year, too. I had big hopes for it, because it's the second year after remodeling and garden remodeling and the unavoidable trampling on things and disruption of watering. But the weather went all weird, and the garden didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know you're going to change the way the garden looks, and you want to have evidence of the change. So you take before pictures. You don't need to take after pictures when you're done because you can see what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pete! Hmm. Y'know, that makes perfect sense. When I look through all my photos, I do _look_ at the ugly ones the most, too. I want pretty ones for the "Images of Gardens Past" posts, or for a perfume with a given flower note in it, but otherwise, meh. Pretty is apparently boring. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha i'm not into gardening but this blog made me laugh anyway.

    ReplyDelete